Sunday, May 26, 2013

Welder's Handbook by Richard Finch

HPBooks Welder’s Handbook: A Guide to Plasma Cutting, Oxyacetylene, ARC, MIG and TIG Welding




Even for me, reading a book on welding is a little off-character. The most skilled thing I do with my hands is garden. Reading about welding may be against my character, but character is exactly why I read the book. I’m a writer. My latest novel opens in the vault of a bank just as the thieves are ready to exit with their loot. To delay discovery of their crime, they weld the vault door shut. Like a good writer, I do my research.

How does one weld? What does one use? How does one cut through criss-crossed steel bars in reinforced concrete to get into the safe in the first place? This book answered many of my questions, but not all.

My limited knowledge had led me to believe welding was always done with tanks of gas and a big protective mask. I was surprised to discover gas welding is only one of the many methods. Even after reading this book I don’t really understand the difference or the technicalities of ARC, MIG and TIG welding. For my writing project, I decided to stick with gas welding. It seems to be the most portable of the methods.

Gas welding, the book says, is done with a tank of oxygen and a tank of acetylene: oxyacetylene. I admit, after the basics, I became confused. Finch shares charts and details about metal types and thicknesses and how they will or will not match up with different types of filler rods. There’s welding, cutting, brazing, jigging and fitting as well as heat forming. I suppose this book would be fantastic for someone with welding experience, but having never laid eyes or hands of actual welding equipment, I’m still lost.

The good news is that I learned enough not to accidentally allow my characters to make a mistake that could get themselves injured or killed while they handle the equipment. That reminds me, I need to rewrite that first chapter to remove some errors. I wasn’t so educated the first time around. J



No comments:

Post a Comment