Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dubliners, by James Joyce (short stories published first in 1914)

James Joyce has the talent of writing engaging, yet subtle stories. There is nothing outrageous or extravagant about the characters or events of Dubliners. The short stories in the volume are gentle snippets of the everyday lives of the people of Dublin, Ireland.



My first taste of James Joyce was in an English class on the short story this past winter. We read “Araby,” one of the stories in Dubliners, and I hated it. I was more enthralled by the works of Alice Munro and John Cheever, but I decided to give Joyce another chance. Dubliners is a classic after all, and I like to think I’m well-versed in classic literature.

My copy was pulled from a recycling bin and, although in good condition, it contains handwritten notes from the previous owner. Normally, these notes would annoy me, but instead I’ve found them quite useful. The reader has slipped in thoughts, historical facts, and links between stories which I found enlightening. Never underestimate the value of a used book. I know I’m going to treasure this one.

Dubliners contains 15 stories. Joyce is especially adept at describing the inner thoughts of his characters. I found myself relating to them. One of my favourites is “Eveline,” the tale of an aborted elopement. Eveline prepares to leave her abusive father and elope with her lover, Frank, but throughout the story she weighs the pros and cons and eventually winds up letting Frank sail away, leaving her on the dock as he calls out to her. I’m sure readers have debated and debated as to why she stayed behind. Maybe she was afraid of her Father? Afraid of a new life? Afraid of letting down her deceased mother? I believe she didn’t go because she wasn’t in love with him. She had looked to him as an escape from a life she didn’t like, but then realized by escaping her father, she’d only be condemning herself to living out her life with a man she didn’t love.

Another great story is “The Dead.” Gabriel attends a party and finds himself uneasy. By the end of the night, his perspective of his aunts, his wife and himself has been altered. “A Mother,” and “Ivy Day in the Committee Room” are also great stories, although I don’t believe there is a single story in the volume which isn’t enjoyable. In the context of the whole work, I can even stomach “Araby,” a story that I previously saw as boring and pointless.

Next time you’re in the mood for some short stories, give James Joyce’s Dubliners a try. You can read all fifteen stories or just a few. Pick up a copy next time you’re at a bookstore. Joyce is a staple for any book collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment