Monday, June 10, 2013

The Guns of Navarone by Alistair Maclean



I actually read this book well over a year ago, but I’m a writer and I’m in the middle of a new project. After a full weekend of work, I need something to get me focused on writing again. This review is my warm-up before I dive into the latest chapter of my novel. Besides, I always love talking about a good Alistair Maclean book, and The Guns of Navarone is one of my favourites. I’ve even seen the 1961 movie adaption.

It’s a war thriller with a basic plot, but anyone who had ever read a Maclean book will know that his plots, in reality, are anything but basic. At any moment in a Maclean book you can be surprised by a plot twist. He’s a master at plot twists. Plus, his novels, including this one, are so fast paced that I’m forced to binge read. It’s painful to have to read a Maclean novel in anything more than one sitting.

In this particular novel, a team of saboteurs are sent to take out the deadly guns on the island of Navarone during the Second World War. They have a short time frame before the British Navy passes by to rescue 1200 soldiers stranded on the Turkish coast. If the guns are left intact, the Navy will be blown out of the water. The chapters are categorized by day and military time, making the experience seem even more authentic.

One of the most gripping scenes of The Guns of Navarone is the cliff climb. Supposedly, the wall of rock is impossible to scale. Knowing this, Keith Mallory, an expert climber, and four other men are sent to climb it to gain access to the island and its guns. Things really heat up from there, but I’ll leave off here to avoid spoiling anymore of the plot. The book was originally published in 1957, but a new printing was made in 2011. Give this title a read. If you like it, there are dozens more by the same author. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see your enthusiasm for MacLean's works. I hope you'll stop by my fan site at AlistairMacLean.com, where I've posted reviews of all his novels and most of the films based on them.

    ReplyDelete