Thursday, December 19, 2013

Building the Orange Wave (Brad Lavigne)

When Jack Layton passed in August if 2011, I spent the day in self-reflection alone in my room, writing one poem and short article after another. I remember I cried, despite never having met him. I promised myself I'd find out more about who he had been. Jack was the one who got me interested in Canadian Politics and his death opened up for me a new chapter, an introspective chapter, in my writing. Jack represented, to me, a political and idealistic ideal. I liked the way he looked at politics, at society, and at life. Now, over two years later, I've finally read a little more about Jack. I know more about his rise within the NDP and the NDP's rise to power in the role of Official Opposition.


Obviously, this book offers a very biased NDP based view of Layton and of the events which unfolded from the time Jack was elected in 2002 to the time of his death in 2011, but as Brad Lavigne says in the acknowledgements, quoting a friend, if he didn't write a book, his opponents would re-write history. If you're looking for another interpretation of politics, go read a book written by a Liberal, or a Conservative, or the Bloc. I'll leave you as the prospective reader to decide the truth of the angle of the events for yourself, but as for myself, I find Brad Lavigne's interpretation of events to be accurate. I'd sooner vote NDP any day, than I would vote Conservative or Liberal. 

This isn't about my political views though. This blog post is about Jack Layton and about this book. Not a lot of explanation is required. Reading the book is like a swift overview of Federal politics since the time I began to become conscious of a thing called politics, but it's also about looking at politics in a new way. 

Jack Layton latched on to the one thing that Canadian, and especially my generation, are looking for in politics. We're tired of fighting for the sake of fighting. We're tired of poor economic policy and poor funding for Canadian welfare programs, like education, healthcare and pensions. We're tired of corporations taking priority over the environment and over us as Canadians. 

A few key ideas from Building the Orange Wave really stick with me. Jack spoke of wanting to be "a politician of proposition, not just opposition" and wanting to work with whatever party is in power to ensure that things happen. He was all about hope. He had hope for the future of his party and for Canada. He had hope for himself. He believed that change was possible, and if someone said something was impossible, that it could be achieved anyway. 

I remember, back in August of 2011, picking up the Globe and Mail at my local library and reading the text of Jack's letter to Canadians, which he wrote in his last days. "My friends, love if better than anger Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let is be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world," Jack wrote. I didn't realize it at the time, but in Chapter 14, Lavigne points out that Jack's final letter was a manifesto for social democracy. As I think over the letter, I know it's true. 

There's so much more I could write about this book, but I'll address one last portion of Jack's final letter.  In a section dedicated to young Canadians, he writes, "As my time in political life draws to a close I want to share with you my belief in your power to change this country and this world . . .  I believe in you. Your energy, you vision, your passion for justice are exactly what this country needs today." 

If the echos of Jack last long enough, maybe my generation will embrace the words that were meant for us. I think Jack understood that many young Canadians have become disenchanted with federal politics--with politics in general. He was reminding us not to give up on Canada's political system. I'm not giving up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment