Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Twelve (Nick McDonell)

I have to admit, this isn't my usual kind of read, but it was recommended to me via a book vlog on YouTube. It's a light book. In fact I tore through it in about two hours--between about 1am and 3am last night-- but please don't judge me based on my weird sleep habits.


The book is what is referred to as popular fiction. It revolves around the lives of a bunch of rich kid drug addicts and dealers who, because of their messed up lives, manage to get themselves into an enormous amount of life-threatening trouble over their Christmas break.

Usually I'd call a book like this, "fluff fiction," but McDonell seems to have a purpose to his writing. In fact, the ending reminds me of my own writing--violent, fast, unexpected and philosophical. McDonell does what any serious writer should strive to do. He makes a statement about the lives his characters have been living. Check it out if you're looking for a good story, or if you're just looking for something that will make you thank God you're not a screwed-up American rich kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment