Thursday, January 2, 2014

Power Systems (Noam Chomsky)



Apparently, Noam Chomsky is one of the biggest names in political science writings. I thought it only fitting that I read at least some of his work before continuing with my formal education in the winter term. This particular book is his latest, I believe. Published in 2013, it covers, as described in its subtitle, "Conversation on Global Democratic Uprisings and the New Challenges to the U.S. Empire." The phrase U.S Empire sparked a lot of thoughts and anger in my mind, but as I soon found it, the phrase is used to be controversial.

I have to admit, it's not the most engaging political science book I've read recently, but it did keep my interest. I was impressed and somewhat amused by the quotes and depictions of notable American "heroes" which he used to prove his points. For example, he quotes Thomas Jefferson as predicting that tribes at American borders would "relapse into barbarism" and "with the beasts of the forests," be driven in the Stony mountains. As a non-American I have to admit, watching an American writer criticize "holy" American icons is somewhat amusing.

I was especially interested in Chomsky's discussion of the Arab spring uprisings. Chomsky refers to them as "triple revolts," which he says are partly  revolts "against Western backed dictators," as well as economic revolts "against the impact of neoliberal policies" and also revolts against "military occupation."

Another notable section is Chomsky's discussion of the American education systems. He suggests that public education began as a way to keep the masses away from the throats of the people in power through indoctrination. The lack of flexibility in the American education systems to a symptom of this purpose. Apparently, the latest trend is the destruction of public education in favour of private to prevent solidarity--which supports democracy.

I think Chomsky may become a favourite writer on mine. More of his books will definitely find their way to my book shelf in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment