Monday, May 12, 2014

Roses: Their Culture and Management (George M. Taylor) (1945)

I picked up Roses: Their Culture and Management at a used bookshop last summer. I was curious, not just to see what methods of care have previously been recommended for roses, but also what kinds of roses were most prominent in the 1940's. The first thing that caught my attention upon opening the books was the symbol (shown below).
I own and have read a number of books produced during the second world war, but all of them have been titles printed in the United States, so I have never seen this insignia before, although I have seen similar symbols. This particular book was printed in Great Britain, according to the publishing information. 

Part of what attracted me to the book were the glossy pictures interspersed throughout. Many of the images are beautiful photographs of roses either on display, or in a garden. Others are less beautiful examples of diseased  and damaged roses. The images and the book as a whole are in excellent condition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment