Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Pelican Brief (John Grisham)


I pulled this book off a sale rack at a discount shop for about five dollars. I had never read a John Grisham book before, but was intrigued by the plot synopsis on the back. I was greatly impressed and managed to read the book in about twenty-four hours, the same twenty-four hours in which I also studied for and wrote a midterm. 

The plot is simple. After two Supreme Court Justices are murdered a law student writes up a brief speculating at the motive and person behind the deaths. The reader is left in the dark about the details of her brief until almost the end of the book, but the brief which is quickly dubbed "the pelican  brief" stirs up dust when it makes its way into the hands of the FBI and the White House. Naturally, the author of the brief is soon on the run, fleeing for her life while feeding information to a reporter. The plot is nothing novel, yet it is intensely suspenseful, making the book hard to put down. The book's general flavour reminded me very much of the first time I watched "All the President's Men." 

No comments:

Post a Comment