Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Disraeli: A Play in Four Acts


I wanted a light read for my bus ride this morning, so I pulled Disraeli off my shelf. I've had it for more than three years, but until today had lacked any motivation to read it. A few weeks ago I even considered selling it for credit at a local used bookstore. My copy pre-dates 1939. There is no copyright date, but a personal inscription on the cover page reads "Donald Weichel, May 4, 1939." It's a book that requires handling. The cover a textured hardened cloth, the paper is a smooth, thin, creamy-white and all the pages give off that old book odor. 

As far as quality, Disralei was an okay read. I'm not a big fan of plays, especially British plays celebrating imperialism. In four relatively short acts, author Louis N. Parker tells the story of  the purchase of the Suez Canal during the time of Queen Victoria. An author's note at the start of the book warns that the play is far from historically accurate. The play isn't bad, but it isn't good either. I found it very slow-paced and the characters boring and predictable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment