Friday, August 8, 2014

Paris (Edward Rutherfurd)


I can't remember the last time I read through an eight hundred page book so quickly. I began reading yesterday morning and finished Paris a few moments ago. Edward Rutherfurd spans over centuries in this book, touching on the lives of many characters. He manages to weave them together as he gradually shows readers bloodlines, friendships and marriages. Although Rutherfurd frequently skips ahead and back in time, he does so skillfully, without damaging the flow of the narrative. 

One of my favourite characters is Thomas, who we first encounter as a young man working on the Statue of Liberty. Later, he assists in building the Eiffel tower. In old age, Thomas is still alive to assist in defending Paris from the Germans, and preventing Hitler from going to the top of the Eiffel tower. I would dare to say he is my favourite character of the whole book. I loved him more than the dozens of others I encountered. Perhaps it is because of his good intentions towards others, his willingness to work hard, and his inability to give up. 

I also enjoyed the story of Marie and her brother Marc. Marc is an artist, and also an aristocrat, who fathers an illegitimate child and refuses to take responsibility for the child or the welfare of the mother who has been disowned by her family. (Incidentally, the child has an interesting story of her own). Marc's sister Marie begins as a young woman looking for love. Unknown to her, she has three prospective suitors. Because of religion and nationality, she never has the chance to marry the man she wishes to, but decades later she encounters her would-be lover for a second time. 

Under ordinary circumstances, I would believe that I have given away too much of the plot and spoiled Paris for future readers, but in this case I have not. I have only brushed the surface of this massive read. It is a complex and vast read. I would recommend, if you plan to venture into this book, saving it for a time when the demands of life will not interrupt. Although it is a work of fiction, I now feel as though I know a little bit more about Paris.  



No comments:

Post a Comment