Sunday, October 19, 2014

Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives For the Book Hunter in the Twenty-First Century (Nicholas A. Basbanes)


Once again, I've read a book about books; Over the past two months I've come to enjoy the genre. Among the Gently Mad is a light, but entertaining and informative read by book collector and author of two other titles on book collecting, Nicholas A. Basbanes. I started reading yesterday afternoon and read during every free moment I had--in the staff room at work, while eating breakfast and so on--although I had very few free moments. (Now that I think about it, there are a couple of major poli-sci papers calling my name as I sit here writing this post :/    . . . )

Among the Gently Mad is not a technical text, nor is it a guide to book buying. Instead, Basbanes provides a very basic "philosophy" of book collecting along with some of his personal experiences and stories from other collectors he's encountered. I will definitely be picking up Basbanes' other works when I have the chance. This book was worth every spare moment I spent with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment