Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Underground Storyteller (Alex Day)


I ordered The Underground Storyteller from the UK a few weeks ago and it--my first inter-continental book order--arrived on Wednesday. The author, Alex Day, is a British YouTuber. I would, however, like to put aside that part of his identity, as well as any controversy regarding his personal life, and focus solely on The Underground Storyteller as a piece of literature. 

Published this year, Day's book recounts the highlights of his travels on the London subway, or "The Tube" as he refers to it. After discovering the oldest rail line in the UK had been dismantled, Day set out to visit every station and ride every line of the London Underground. 

Writing in a colloquial, conversational style, Day combines history, personal stories, folklore, and humour, creating a narrative which rambles along like a couple of old friends in a coffee shop. 

I liked this book, not because it offered me any amazing insights, but because it was fun to read. The book is part memoir, part travel guide and part history book; the successful co-existence of these genres is rare. I did, however, find myself raising a critical eyebrow at the opening line: "People interested in the Tube largely fall into three categories: student photographers, old people and me." Apart from being a cliche lead, I feel it is an over-generalization and I'm not sure what he means by "me." Does Day mean writers? riders? Does he mean to set himself apart, personally, as a unique category? Luckily, I never judge an entire book by its first line, or even its first page. 

Despite a weak start, the writing quality improves within the first few chapters. Day, by the end of the book, reveals himself as a skilled writer. Transitions between chapters and stories are seamless.  Every story he tells--personal or otherwise-- is attached to the main frame perfectly. Nothing is awkward or seemingly out of place. The Underground Storyteller is an excellent first book. I look forward to seeing more work from him in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment