Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Norse Myths (Kevin Crossley-Holland)

This book was sent to me for Christmas by an American friend. It's not the kind of book I would usually pick up, but it was a good one. The Norse Myths contains 31 traditional stories retold by author Kevin Crossley-Holland. The book includes a thorough introduction and extensive notes on each story, explaining what versions he chose to draw from and the possible meanings of symbols and events. In some cases, he even disputes the link of Norse myths to the mythology of other cultures.

I was surprised, when reading a myth called "The Treasures of the Gods," to come across a scene in which a god by the name of Thor receives a golden hammer created by dwarfs. I'm not a fan of superhero movies, but I do know the basic story of Thor.

In these Norse myths, dwarfs hold powerful magic and are talented metal smiths. The dwarfs create unbreakable chains, decorative armbands, golden hair, and in one myth, a necklace.

I found the myth about the necklace problematic. Perhaps ancient Norse myths are not the place to be critiquing the treatment of women or reading critically, but I couldn't help it. In "The Necklace of Brisings," when the goddess Freyja is so weak as to be "dazzled" by a golden necklace created by dwarfs and agrees to sleep with the dwarfs for four nights in order to obtain it, I just shook my head. Later on in the myth, Freyja makes a deal with her husband (that she will stir up an unending war) in order to get the necklace back. The image of a woman who would sell her body and the lives of others for a piece of gold is  disturbing.

I was even more disturbed by "Skirnir's Journey," a myth in which Freyer falls in love with the Giantess Gerd. He sends his friend Skirnir to fetch Gerd, "whether her father likes it or not." Freyer never even considers the feelings of Gerd. When Skirnir arrives and Gerd refuses to go with him, he threatens her until she agrees to come and marry Freyer.

There were some stories in here that I did like and wasn't disturbed by. "Lord of the Gallows," for instance, is a fascinating story about Obin, who goes through, among other things, death in order to gain 18 pieces of knowledge.

"The Mead of Poetry" is a  Romantic story, in its own way. After a being fashioned from the spit of the gods is murdered, his blood is taken and mixed into a mead, which, when drunk, provides the divine gift of poetry.

Although many of the stories in this volume left me with an uncomfortable feeling--the same as I get from reading certain ancient Greek myths where misogyny and violence are common-place --it was a worthwhile I read. Any lover of mythology would enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment