Thursday, February 5, 2015

Breakfast at Tiffany's (Truman Capote)

Until about a month ago I had no idea that Breakfast at Tiffany's was a book. I've watched the Audrey Hepburn (1961) movie adaptation many times, and so I was excited when I came across this title.

If you've seen the movie, you'll know that Breakfast at Tiffany's is the story of the sophisticated and somewhat bohemian Holly Golightly. Holly, when she has "the reds" (her angry version of the blues) likes to go to Tiffany's. Who can forget the imagine of Hepburn walking the lonely sidewalks outside of Tiffany's in the early morning? There is no other character in literature quite like Holly Golightly. She claims that she can love anyone if she decides to, and yet she doesn't seem to love anyone enough to stay in one place, or with one person for very long. You love her, feel sorry for her, and dislike her at the same time.The story is told through the eyes of Holly's upstairs neighbour, a writer.

This edition, which I ordered all the way from Australia (I really really wanted some Popular Penguins), also contains three short stories: "House of Flowers," "A Diamond Guitar" and "A Christmas Memory." I would consider Breakfast at Tiffany's more of a novella than a novel, as in this edition it fills only 100 pages. It's a light read, making it perfect for a cold winter afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment