Saturday, April 11, 2015

Reading Again

Over the past month I haven't had a whole lot of time to read or to write about anything not related to my classes. Now that I've handed in my last final paper and written most of my exams, I can finally dig into the pile of books I've been anxiously anticipating and hopefully post on here more frequently.

I started this blog almost exactly two years ago at the end of my first year of university. I wanted to make sure that I was absorbing what I read and thinking about it as well. Two years later, that's still what I want to do. The major difference between two years ago and now--apart from my ever evolving taste in reading material--is that now, unlike then, someone occasionally reads my posts.

To kick off my return to leisure reading, I thought I'd share a couple of the books I've bought over the past two or three months. Even when I'm not reading, I'm buying.
To start, I'll share my most recent buy, The Battle of London: Trudeau, Thatcher, and the Fight for Canada's Constitution by Frederic Bastien. When I pre-ordered the new Dean Brody CD that comes out April 21st (go check out his music!) I threw this in to get free shipping. Canadian Constitutional law and history have fascinated me for a long time, but until recently my reading and exploration have been fragmented. 
Next, I have Fifth Business by Robertson Davies. This was mandatory reading in my grade 12 English class back in high school. I hated it at the time, but it's been a few years and for whatever reason it keeps coming back to me. I will always be grateful to my high school English teachers for introducing me to Canadian Lit. I think it's time for a re-read. I couldn't resist the Penguin Modern Classics edition. 
Finally, I picked up Autumn of the Patriarch by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, an author who has quickly become one of my favourites. It should be a fascinating and perhaps challenging read as there don't appear to be any chapter or even paragraph breaks anywhere within the text. 



No comments:

Post a Comment